OTTO Market: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the Hamburg-based marketplace OTTO Market. Here you can find information on how to request an OTTO Market account, how to configure this channel on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|Area served (orders)||Germany|
|Revenue||EUR 14.3 billion (2019–2020)|
|Number of monthly visits||circa 60 million|
|Commission||7-18%, depending on the category|
|Other costs||EUR 39.90/month|
|Product categories||fashion, lifestyle, furniture, living, electronics, and more|
|Minimum number of SKUs||no|
|Profile on ChannelEngine||OTTO Market|
To start selling on OTTO Market, you need to make sure that you meet the requirements below. Once you do, go to their registration page and sign up.
- You have a business in Germany with a German legal form and a German tax ID
- You present yourself as the merchant to end customers (OTTO Market is not a wholesale channel)
- You offer customer service in German
- You dispatch from a German warehouse
- You only offer products with VAT of 19%
- You do not use graduated shipping costs (uniform costs for all products or EUR 0 are technically possible)
- You transfer to the OTTO Partner Portal the shipment number for the outbound shipment and the shipment number for the return shipment in advance
- You sell mainly products from these categories
OTTO Market does not charge any setup fees, but it does charge a monthly fee of EUR 39.90. It also charges a commission fee, which varies from 7% to 18% depending on the product category.
|Product offers||Cancelations (channel)|
|Orders||Marketplace fulfillment service|
|Cancelations (merchant)||Returns (merchant)|
|Product variations (sizes/colors)|
Setting up each channel on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the channel:
- Go through the Setup
- Create a Product selection
- Complete the Categorization
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers (there are no offer mappings on OTTO Market), and carriers
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion
- Finish the Activation
- Check the Listed products overview
On OTTO Market
Go to OTTO Market's partner portal and retrieve your API username and API password.
To connect OTTO Market with ChannelEngine:
- Go to the Setup page of your OTTO Market channel and add the API username and API password to the respective fields.
- Click Save to validate your credentials and complete the connection setup.
- Navigate to Plugin specific settings section and in the Ship from address - country code field, add the ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 code of the country where you ship from. E.g.: if you ship from Germany, enter DEU.
- In the Ship from address - city field, enter the city where you ship from.
- In the Ship from address - zip code field, enter the zip code where you ship from.
The size of OTTO Market's list of categories reflects the marketplace's broad range of products, but the categorization process is straightforward – and it uses attribute names in German.
Unlike most channels, all mappable attributes are nested under the Content mappings.
All products (required)
- Brand - the brand of the product. All brands must be approved by OTTO Market, so if you do not see your brand in the search results you need to contact them.
- Delivery time - the expected delivery time, in days. E.g.: 3.
- Delivery type - select the kind of delivery for the product. The options available are parcel (the most common), curbside, and preferred location (e.g.: a pick-up point).
- EAN - the 13-digit EAN or GTIN of the product. It must not start with a 2.
- Product reference - map this attribute if you want to group child products under a parent. If you leave it empty, the SKU is used as the reference. Note that you can only use each Product reference once within your product catalog, so make sure to use a value that makes sense for all variations of the product – and does not refer to any specifics of a variation. The maximum number of characters is 50.
- SKU - your internal identifier, usually this is the Merchant product number. The maximum number of characters is 50.
- Standard price - the sale price of the product.
- VAT - the kind of VAT associated with the product. The options available are free, full, and reduced – with full being the most common.
All products (optional)
- Bullet point 1-5 - the features or highlights of the product.
- Bundle - defines if the product is part of a bundle or not.
- Catalog price - the product's manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).
- Description - the description of the product. The following HTML elements are supported: b, i, font, s, u, o, sup, sub, ins, del, strong, strike, tt, code, big, small, br, span, and em. The maximum number of characters is 2,000.
- Discount end date - the date until when the product's sale price is valid, if applicable. The date format is DD-MM-YYYY. E.g.: 15-11-2022.
- Discount price - the product's sale price, if applicable.
- Discount start date - the date from when the product's sale price is valid, if applicable. The date format is DD-MM-YYYY. E.g.: 13-11-2022.
- Disposal - select Yes for OTTO Market to display information on the appropriate disposal of the product or parts of it.
- FSC certified - select 'Yes' if the product is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- ISBN - if the product is a book, enter its ISBN here.
- Manufacturer - the manufacturer of the product.
- Max. order quantity - if only a certain quantity of the product can be sold per customer, set the threshold here.
- MOIN - My OTTO identification number.
- MPN - the manufacturer part number, if available. The maximum number of characters is 50.
- Multipack - if the product is part of a set, specify it here.
- Offering start date - the date from when the product can be ordered on OTTO Market.
- Product line - the product's title. The maximum number of characters recommended is 50.
- Product URL - the link to the product on your own website.
- Production date - the date when the product was manufactured.
- Pharmazentralnummer (PZN) - only relevant for pharmaceutical products.
- Release date - the date when the product was made available for sale by the manufacturer.
- UPC - if the product has a universal product code, add it here.
Carrier mapping is required on OTTO Market, and several logistics companies are listed. However, only three carriers can be used for returns: Hermes, DHL, and GLS. Therefore, it may be preferable to stick to these three carriers when shipping too.
Finally, including track-and-trace codes is also required. Bear in mind that if you use DPD as your shipping carrier, you can only use a return tracking code from DHL.
If you have problems with products not appearing on OTTO Market (especially if you are trying to create products that do not exist yet), check the Listed products section for more information.
You can either filter on Channel status (Invalid for all products that ChannelEngine has not exported, such as products with an empty EAN or products that currently do not exist on OTTO Market) or use the Validation and feedback tab to see all known validation/feedback errors for specific products.
How often does each task run on OTTO Market?
Tasks run according to the following schedule on OTTO Market:
|Export product data to channel||every 60 minutes|
|Export product offers to channel||every 15 minutes|
|Import product offers from channel||every 15 minutes|
|Import orders from channel||every 20 minutes|
|Import returns from channel||every 60 minutes|
|Export order shipments to channel||every 60 minutes|
|Export returns to channel||every 60 minutes|
From October 2022, OTTO Market no longer delays the transmission of new orders by 35 minutes. Therefore, when ChannelEngine's order import task runs, it imports all new orders.
The products I loaded are stuck in the status 'Under review'. What is wrong?
Go to your OTTO back-end and check if the display restriction (DR) setting is active. If so, make sure to deactivate it. This is a safety net feature, which allows you to prepare your products for sale without exposing them to customers. Note that deactivating the display restriction can take a few working days.