Secret Sales: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the London-based marketplace Secret Sales. Here you can find information on how to request a Secret Sales account, how to configure this channel on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|Founded||9 March 2020|
|Founders||Chris Griffin, Matt Purt|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Area served (orders)||Belgium, Netherlands, United Kingdom (except for Northern Ireland and Channel Islands)|
|Number of monthly visits||circa 2 million (2021)|
|Commission||to be discussed with Secret Sales' sales representative|
|Product categories||fashion, cooking, furniture/interior design, healthcare, cosmetics, shoes/bags/luggage, sports equipment, vintage clothing|
|Input currency||EUR, GBP|
|Minimum number of SKUs||48, unless agreed otherwise|
|Profile on ChannelEngine||Secret Sales|
Secret Sales is not an open marketplace, therefore it is only possible to get an account following the conclusion of the contracting process.
The contractual terms, including broad commercial terms around discount and product volumes, must be agreed before the integration process can begin.
Secret Sales does not charge setup or monthly fees, but it does charge a commission fee which must be negotiated with their sales representative.
|Product offers||Marketplace fulfillment service|
|Product content||Pick-up point delivery|
|Cancelations (channel)||HTML formatting|
Setting up each channel on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the channel:
- Go through the Setup.
- Create a Product selection.
- Complete the Categorization.
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers, and carriers.
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion.
- Finish the Activation.
- Check the Listed products overview.
Secret Sales is a Mirakl-based channel, so you can connect it to ChannelEngine using a Mirakl Connect SSO account. For more information on this, check out the Mirakl-based channels: SSO authorization article.
You can leave the Mirakl seller name field empty, as Secret Sales does not support repricing.
To configure your invoice settings, click Advanced settings. You can then click the dropdown menu Enable invoice uploading, which contains the following options:
- ChannelEngine invoices - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it automatically generates an invoice and attaches it to the shipment.
- Merchant invoices (optional) - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it exports it – even if there is no invoice attached to it.
- Merchant invoices (required) - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it only exports it if an invoice is attached to it. If not, you receive a notification.
- None - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it takes no action other than notifying you that no invoice is present.
Categorization is mandatory if you want to create or update existing product information on Secret Sales. Both categorizations and mappings only result in updates if the content connection is enabled, and the relevant credentials have been entered (see the Setup section).
All products (required)
- Brand - the product's brand or manufacturer. Must be selected from Secret Sales' list of available brands. If your brand does not appear on the list or if its design and/or spelling are incorrect, please contact Secret Sales.
Introduction/Detailed description - en_GB - the product's main description field, written in English and containing as much information about the product as possible.
- There is no support for HTML formatting.
- The maximum number of characters is 2,000.
- Main image - the product's main image. The RFC 3986 standard applies to the URL itself, i.e.: URLs must start with either http:// or https://. The image formats supported are GIF, PNG, JPG, and JPEG.
- Product name - en_GB - the product's title, it can be unique or generic. The maximum number of characters is 255. E.g.: Black Leather Backpack. Note that the size of the product cannot be a part of the product name.
- Shop SKU - the product's unique internal ID, usually the Merchant product number. The maximum number of characters is 60. E.g.: ABC123
- Variant group code - also referred to as the Parent SKU, which groups together sizes of a color style. Within Secret Sales, a product style's colors are listed on the product listing page (PLP) – not as options within a product description page (PDP). Therefore, the color is the parent SKU. The unique identifier of the group (aka parent) is based on the primary color. It should be the GroupNo/parent SKU, but not the grandparent SKU. If the product is a standalone, use the Merchant product number via an advanced rule.
All products (optional)
- EAN - the product's 13-digit EAN or GTIN, validated by both ChannelEngine and Secret Sales. If you have a 12-digit EAN, add a zero to it.
- Condition - the state of the product. The options are vintage (i.e.: used) and new.
- Event - the product's season, selected from Secret Sales' list. Common values such as spring and summer are available, as well as back to school, Christmas, etc.
Image 2-6 - the product's additional images. The RFC 3986 standard applies to the URL itself, i.e.: URLs must start with either http:// or https://. The minimum number recommended per product is four, and the following also apply:
- Only JPG (but not JPEG) and PNG files are supported.
- Special characters are not supported (except for underscores).
- Uppercase characters are supported for the main filename, but not for the extension. E.g.: FILENAME.jpg is okay, but FILENAME.JPG is not.
- A combination of numbers and text is supported.
- Images provided cannot be hosted with Dropbox, as they have an invisible login wall that prevents Secret Sales from scraping the URLs.
- In terms of the order of the images, the preference is for a model shot to always be the product' Main image.
- Measurements - en_GB - a free text field where you can input information relating to the measurements of the product. The maximum number of characters is 255. E.g.: 100 cm x 120 cm x 20 cm.
- Composition (fabric-en_GB) - a free text field where you can input information relating to the fabric composition of a product. The maximum number of characters is 255. E.g.: 100% cotton; 60% viscose, 40% polyester.
- Color (color) - the product's color, selected from a predefined list of values. Secret Sales' palette cannot be extended beyond these colors, therefore you either need to map your colors to theirs or use their palette.
Size (size) - mandatory even if a product only has a single standard size, such as a handbag.
- For clothing and footwear, correct sizes should be chosen.
- For all other products where there is only a single standard size, the value 'One size' should be chosen.
The only mandatory offer mapping is Price. This is your desired sale price, after (re)price rules are applied.
Attributes such as Leadtime to shipment (the number of days before you ship the item), Logistic class (your optional shipping class), Offer state (the condition of your item), and Minimum quantity alert (so you receive a notification if the stock drops below a certain threshold) are common for Mirakl mappings.
Working with discounts
- Do not leave the Discount end date attribute unmapped. If you want to set a permanent discount, use a date in the far future instead. Otherwise the offer is not exported, and errors are shown under the Validation and feedback tab.
- If your discounted price is not lower than the base price, it is not exported.
- If you do not want to set a bulk discount, leave the Discount quantity threshold attribute unmapped – otherwise the export is broken.
- If you do want to set a bulk discount, the Discount quantity threshold must be set to a value higher than 1. E.g.: a value of 2 indicates that two or more of the product must be purchased at the same time for the buyer to benefit from the discount.
Carrier mapping is not required on Secret Sales. However, you can map your carrier to a specific list of carriers maintained by Secret Sales. This allows for working track-and-trace links in the back-end, as well as for the buyer. If your default carrier is missing, please contact Secret Sales.
Secret Sales requires the prices to be submitted in GBP. If you do not have pricing attributes in GBP, you need to set a currency conversion.
If you have problems with products not appearing on Mirakl-based channels – especially if you are trying to create products –, check the Listed products section for more information.
You can either filter on Channel status (Invalid for all products that ChannelEngine has not exported, such as products with an empty EAN or products that currently do not exist on the channel) or use the Validation and feedback tab to see all known errors for specific products.
You can see detailed status reports in their Mirakl back-end. These reports contain specific errors if a product or product offer cannot be created. To find them, go to My inventory, Import from file, Track offer imports/Track product imports. By hovering over the 'i' under the Status section, you can see how many products in the file were processed correctly and how many had errors, etc.
If there are errors, the last column shows a downloadable file in which they are listed. The same goes for the product file import, but this can contain multiple files because processing goes through several systems. There is also a manual check of your submitted content, which, once approved, goes to staging as well. Note that you need to map as much as possible to prevent products from not being created.
How often does each task run on Mirakl-based channels?
By default, Mirakl-based channels follow the schedule below:
|Export product data to channel||every 60 minutes|
|Export product offers to channel||every 15 minutes|
|Import product offers from channel||every 15 minutes|
|Import orders from channel||every 15 minutes|
|Export order shipments to channel||every 15 minutes|
|Export returns to channel||every 30 minutes|