Lazada: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the Singapore-based marketplace Lazada. Here you can find information on how to request a Lazada account, how to configure this marketplace on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|March 27, 2012
|Maximilian Bittner, Mads Faurholt, Stefan Bruun, Raphael Strauch
|Area served (orders)
|Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia*
|circa USD 21 billion (2021)
|Number of monthly visits
|circa 10 million (Lazada Singapore)
|babies and toys, books, electronics, fashion, health and beauty, home and lifestyle, musical instruments, sports equipment, and more
|Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Malay, English, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese
|IDR, MYR, PHP, SGD, THB, VND
|Minimum number of SKUs
|Profile on ChannelEngine
* Note that each market has its own Lazada channel on ChannelEngine. To sell in Thailand and the Philippines, for instance, you need to add both the Thai and Filipino Lazada channels on ChannelEngine.
To start selling on Lazada, go to the Lazada Seller Center, create an account, and fill out the request form. The following documents are also needed:
- Your business registration
- Trademark/letter of authorization
- Bank statement
- Basic store assets
Lazada does not charge any setup or monthly fees, but it does charge a commission fee that varies from 1% to 4% of each sale.
|Product content (limited HTML formatting)
|Product offers (incl. SKU matching)
|Shipments (carrier mapping)
|Product variations (sizes/colors)1
|Marketplace fulfillment service
1 Only certain categories support variations. E.g.: fashion products.
2 A marketplace that supports sales channels allows merchants to list and sell products across multiple markets (e.g.: countries, regions, and states), all from the same connection.
3 Lazada does not support ChannelEngine's automated invoices. You must either include a physical invoice in the package send it to the buyer via Lazada's back-end.
4 Marketplace cancelations are only possible for orders with the statuses Awaiting payment and New on ChannelEngine.
Settings and configuration
Setting up each marketplace on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the marketplace:
- Go through the Setup.
- Create a Product selection.
- Complete the Categorization.
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers, and carriers.
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion.
- Finish the Activation.
- Check the Listed products overview.
Marketplace-specific requirements and exceptions
- Go to the Setup page of your Lazada marketplace on ChannelEngine and click the Authorize button.
- The required login credentials are provided to you during the onboarding with Lazada.
- When the authorization is done, click Save on the Setup page.
Lazada offers its own fulfillment service, which you can configure by clicking the Fulfillment type dropdown menu. Note that the option you select here must match the option selected in the Lazada back-end.
For more information on this, check out the article How do I enable Delivered by Seller (DBS)? in Lazada's help center.
- Use grandparent products - enable it to configure your grandparent products as parents on Lazada, so child products can be grouped by color or size. Your actual parent products are ignored. Note that all of your existing products on Lazada are deleted and then recreated using the updated two-level hierarchy.
- Realtime shipment export - enable it to trigger the export of shipments as soon as they are created, which speeds up the availability of the shipping labels.
- Pack order after import - enable it to allow the packing of orders as soon as they are imported.
Categorization on Lazada can be a long process due to the number of categories available, but it is also straightforward. To ensure that your products are as visible as possible, the lowest branch of each category tree should be selected.
All categories are listed in English.
Required (all products)
- Brand - the product's brand. If your brand is not listed, log into the Lazada Seller Central and follow the process detailed in their Brand registration process article.
Image 1 - the product's main image. If your product does not exist on Lazada yet, this attribute is mandatory. The image requirements are listed below:
- Resolution - minimum of 330x330 px maximum of 5,000x5,000 px
- File size - maximum of 2 MB
- File format - JPG, PNG
- Background - white
- At least 80% of the canvas covered by the product
- No obscene content
- At least three images per each product
- No watermark or graphics
- Name - the product's name in English. The maximum number of characters is 255.
- Package height (cm) - the height of the package that contains the product, in cm. This value must be higher than zero.
- Package length (cm) - the length of the package that contains the product, in cm. This value must be higher than zero.
- Package weight (kg) - the weight of the packaged product, in kg. This value must be higher than zero.
- Package width (cm) - the width of the package that contains the product, in cm. This value must be higher than zero.
- Warranty type - the kind of warranty offered for this product, if any. E.g.: international manufacturer warranty, local supplier warranty, no warranty, etc.
Optional (all products)
- Image 2-8 - the product's additional images. The requirements listed under Image 1 also apply here.
- Dangerous goods - state if the product can be dangerous or not. E.g.: battery, flammable, etc.
- Delivery option - state if the product can be delivered instantly or not.
- Delivery option economy - state if the ‘economy’ delivery type is available for the product.
- Delivery option express - state if the ‘express’ delivery type is available for the product.
- Delivery option instant - state if the ‘instant’ delivery type is available for the product.
- End date of promotion - the last date on which the configured promotion is valid. Make sure not to enter a date far ahead, as further updates may be blocked by Lazada.
- Long description (Lorikeet) - the product's main description. This attribute is split into two different attributes in the Lazada back-end, and can be used to create a richer product page known at Lazada as Lorikeet. The maximum number of characters is 25,000. Most common HTML tags are supported, such as a, br, col, div, em, h1-h6, ol and ul, strong, etc.
- Name (Malay) - the product's name in Malay.
- Product description (Malay) - the product's description in Malay.
- Short description - the product's short description, which can be used to highlight the product's main characteristics.
- Special price - the product's discount price. If this attribute is mapped, Start date of promotion must be mapped too.
- Start date of promotion - the first date on which the configured Special price is valid. The format supported is yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm, with a 24-hour clock. Note that the time value is converted to 15-minute intervals. E.g.: 2023-07-15 18:23 is converted to 2023-07-15 18:15.
- End date of promotion - the last date on which the configured Special price is valid. The format supported is yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm, with a 24-hour clock. Note that the time value is converted to 15-minute intervals. E.g.: 2023-07-15 18:23 is converted to 2023-07-15 18:15.
- Taxes - if left empty, it uses the default VAT setup on CE.
- Video URL - the URL of the product's promotion video.
- Warranty - the product’s warranty. E.g.: 1 month, 18 months, 3 years, etc.
- Warranty policy - the product's warranty policy.
- Warranty policy (English) - the product's warranty policy in English.
- What's in the box - describe the contents of the package. E.g.: smartphone, charging cable, charger, user's guide, etc.
If the category you are working with supports variations, the attributes Color and/or Size are available for mapping. It is not possible to create variations using custom attributes.
There are no offer mappings on Lazada.
Lazada has a number of preferred carriers, which you can map per country where Lazada is available. Besides fulfillment by Lazada, it is also possible to have your products collected by a Lazada-approved carrier and delivered to your customers.
To configure your fulfillment options, go to the Lazada Seller Center.
In order to request shipping labels, ChannelEngine must export the exact name of the marketplace (i.e.: Lazada) – otherwise the request fails. The Method name should be added to the Your shipping method column, and the Marketplace name should be added under the Channel column (as shown below).
Note that the customer delivery country is set to All countries when using shipping labels. If this rule is not set, the real-time export is not triggered.
There is no dedicated price attribute on Lazada. It is recommended that you always use the default Price attribute as the output of whatever price rules you set up, including currency conversions.
If you are selling on Lazada in two or more countries, make sure to create price attributes for each specific country.
Lazada provides little information in terms of validation and feedback. However, you can check the Listed products section to check on the status of the migration of product images and failed exports.
Fulfillment by Lazada (FBL)
ChannelEngine imports orders fulfilled by Lazada (i.e.: Is FBL = 1 in the Extra information section of the Order details page) when all of their order lines have the status Delivered or Shipped.
Orders canceled before shipping do not require any action unless you are the one requiring their cancelation. Once an order enters the Ready to ship status on Lazada, the buyer cannot cancel it anymore.
Orders that are not fulfilled entirely by Lazada can also be delivered by them. This last-mile delivery service is also known as delivery by Lazada. To set up this feature on ChannelEngine, follow one of the processes below.
Via the web application
- Go to Settings, Shipping method and enter a shipping method.
- Go to the Setup page of your Lazada marketplace and select Delivery by Lazada from the Fulfillment type dropdown menu.
- In the Advanced settings section, enable the following settings:
Realtime shipment export - requests the shipping label once ChannelEngine receives the trigger.
Pack order after import - updates the order on the marketplace to Packing. If the buyer wants to cancel the order, the cancelation becomes a cancelation request.
Go to the Mappings page and click the Carrier mappings tab.
It is important that ChannelEngine exports the exact name of the marketplace (i.e.: Lazada) to request the shipping documents, otherwise, the request fails. Add the Method name under the Your shipping method column, and the Marketplace name under the Channel column.
Via the Merchant API
Before you get started, make sure the following endpoints are implemented:
- If you are able to deliver the order, request its shipping label from Lazada. To do this, call
POST/v2/shipmentswith nothing but the carrier method name (i.e.: the shipping method from the process described above) in it – not even a tracking code.
- ChannelEngine requests shipping labels for orders in real time. These labels are generated based on the response from the marketplace, and stored on ChannelEngine’s servers. Request your label in PDF via
- You can then see the Package ID appear in the Extra information section of the Order details page, indicating that the label has been requested.
- Once the picking and packing are done, update the tracking code field with the note 'ready' via
- When received, the order status on the marketplace changes to Ready to ship. On ChannelEngine, it changes to Closed instead of Pending.
Order extra data items
When an order is imported to ChannelEngine, ChannelEngine also fetches extra data items related to the order itself – or to order lines. This extra data is specific to this marketplace. An explanation of each can be found below:
Order extra data
The product's price, before any vouchers are applied.
|Voucher code (platform amount)
The amount related to the voucher provided by Lazada.
|Voucher code (seller)
The code related to the voucher provided by you.
|Voucher code (seller amount)
The amount related to the voucher provided by you.
|Voucher seller (LPI* amount)
The amount related to the Lazada Bonus voucher provided by you.
|Voucher platform (LPI* amount)
The amount related to the Lazada Bonus voucher provided by Lazada.
|Channel warehouse codes
The code of the warehouse from which the order was fulfilled.
The number of packages the buyer would like to receive. E.g.: one package with all order lines, or one package per order line.
* Lazada platform incentives.
How often does each task run on Lazada?
Tasks run according to the following schedule on Lazada:
|Export product data to the channel
|every 60 minutes
|Export product offers to the channel
|every 15 minutes
|Import orders from the channel
|every 20 minutes
|Import returns from the channel
|every 60 minutes
|Export order shipments to the channel
|every 60 minutes
|Import product statuses from the channel
|every 30 minutes
How do I delete products from Lazada?
To delete a product from Lazada, remove it from your product selection.
Sometimes I am not able to update prices on Lazada. What is happening?
Lazada has special sales events every quarter. During these periods, price updates via Lazada's API are disabled. To find out when these events take place, contact Lazada.
Why do I see the error "It is mandatory to provide a value for 'Image 1' when creating a product", if this attribute has already been mapped?
As Lazada uses a content delivery network (CDN) to handle images, there may be a delay between the export of the image to the CDN and then to Lazada. If the Image 1 attribute is mapped correctly, and yet you see this error, try re-exporting your content.
Why are some of my product images duplicated on Lazada?
This is a bug on Lazada's end, triggered by the manual update, shuffle, or deletion of images on Lazada Seller Center – which should be avoided. To address this issue:
- Remove the affected product(s) from your product selection on ChannelEngine.
- Export the affected product(s) to Lazada and allow them to be deleted from the marketplace.
- Add the affected products back to the product selection on ChannelEngine.
- Re-export the affected products to Lazada and let them be created from scratch.