Back Market: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the Paris-based marketplace Back Market. Here you can find information on how to request a Back Market account, how to configure this marketplace on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|Founders||Thibaud Hug de Larauze and Vianney Vaute|
|Area served (orders)||Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, United States*|
|Revenue||USD 70.8 million|
|Number of monthly visits||4.6 million (2021)|
|Other costs||EUR 50.00/month|
|Payment||every 6th, 16th, and 26th of the month|
|Product categories||refurbished electronics**|
|Input language||depends on the country|
|Input currency||EUR, GBP, USD|
|Profile on ChannelEngine||Back Market|
* Back Market has separate environments for the EU and the US, both on ChannelEngine's and Back Market's sides.
** Although merchants are required to sell smartphones with their respective charging cable – and devices than smartphones must be sold with complete charging set –, accessories such as cables and earphones cannot be sold separately.
To start selling on Back Market, you need to request a seller account on their website.
During the account creation process, you set up your own store on Back Market – with your own company name, logo, VAT number, and other details. You can also select the languages for your business description and invoices.
Back Market charges a monthly fee of EUR 50.00, as well as a commission of 10% – regardless of the kind of product.
|Product offers (EAN or Back Market ID)||External fulfillment|
|Product variations (sizes/colors)|
* Only one country is supported per environment.
** A marketplace that supports sales channels allows merchants to list and sell products across multiple markets (e.g.: countries, regions, and states), all from the same connection.
Settings and configuration
Setting up each marketplace on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the marketplace:
- Go through the Setup.
- Create a Product selection.
- Complete the Categorization.
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers, and carriers.
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion.
- Finish the Activation.
- Check the Listed products overview.
On Back Market
To request an access token:
- In Back Market's back-end, go to Options, and on the bottom of the page, in the Entrez votre mot de passe field, enter your account password. Back Market produces an access token for the API that you need to connect ChannelEngine. As long as you do not change your password, this token remains the same. Every time you change your password, you must request a new token and update it on ChannelEngine.
To connect ChannelEngine and Back Market:
- On the Setup tab and, in the API access token field, enter you Back Market token.
- Optionally, enter information in the following fields:
- Process shipments without IMEI number - Back Market introduced a requirement, effective 1 January 2022, regarding the provision of IMEI numbers when selling smartphones on its platform. Failing to do so may result in penalties.
- Supported countries and languages - click the dropdown box to select the different countries you want to sell in. If you select multiple countries, you must add titles and descriptions in the corresponding languages.
- Supported country for repricer - to use Back Market's repricer, enter a country here. Your Back Market channel supports multiple countries, but you can use Back Market's repricer for only one of those countries.
- Use shipping contact information instead of billing contact information - if enabled, the buyer's email address and phone number are extracted from the shipping contact information – and stored as order extra data. Otherwise, the billing contact information is used for this purpose.
Most categories on Back Market are straightforward, however, the name of certain appliance groups might require translation from French or German to English.
The number of required attributes under All products varies based on the countries enabled. There are three base attributes and three language-based attributes.
- Brand - the brand or manufacturer of the product. E.g.: AKG, HP, Philips, etc.
- Image 1 - the uniform resource locator (URL) of the main product image.
- Weight - the weight of the product, in grams.
- Description - the main product description, in the respective language/country.
- Price new - the recommended retail price/MSRP for the product.
- Title - the name of the product.
Optional attributes include additional product images, dimensions, and color.
There are several offer attributes required on Back Market, from which three are fixed and two are based on the selected languages and countries. Make sure to map either the EAN or the Back Market ID, which are marked as Optional but are in fact required to connect your offer to the right content data on Back Market.
- SKU - your internal variant identifier. Usually your Merchant product number on ChannelEngine. E.g.: ABC123-Yellow-Medium.
- State - the condition of the product. Note that Back Market has unique conditions, such as Gold, Shiny, and Stallone.
- Price before (re)price rules - the standard price attribute, visible on all channels. However, this is currently not applied due to pricing per country being enabled.
- Price - the price you want to sell your products at. Note that currently price rules are not applied.
- Warranty delay - the provided warranty period, in months. The minimum value is six.
The main optional attribute worth mentioning is the Price of the DEEE. DEEE stands for Déchets d'Equipements Electriques et Electroniques, which is a a tax added to the selling price of electric and electronic items in France.
Back Market has a built-in repricer, similar to the repricer offered by ChannelEngine – which is also supported on Back Market.
To use Back Market's repricer, map the Minimum price and BackPricer enabled? offer attributes. – both need to be mapped per product and per country. If the BackPricer enabled? attribute is set to true and no Minimum price is mapped, a validation error is shown.
When configured, the BackPricer optimizes your prices in real-time to make sure that you remain competitive on Back Market. Note that your quality score also influences your chance to win the buy box, known as BackBox on Back Market.
Although it is possible to use the BackPricer and ChannelEngine's repricer at the same time, the former overrides any values set by the latter. What's more, the actual price of products for which the BackPricer is enabled is unlikely to be the same price exported by ChannelEngine – as Back Market is constantly optimizing it on their end.
Carrier mapping is required on Back Market, as specific carrier tags must be submitted to the channel.
If you want to differentiate pricing per Back Market country, you can create and use separate price attributes – mapping them as the input for each Price [country] field. Currency conversion is not needed, you can map the used currency as an optional currency attribute. The default currency is EUR.
Back Market does not offer detailed content and offer status information. Therefore, you can only see limited validation information under the Listed product section of this channel. If the API call is accepted, products are listed as Published, and if a validation error occurs (e.g.: due to empty required attributes) the status is None.
Order extra data items
When an order is imported to ChannelEngine, ChannelEngine also fetches extra data items related to the order itself – or to order lines. This extra data is specific to this marketplace. An explanation of each can be found below:
Order extra data
The user-friendly sales channel name.
|Paypal reference Id||Yes||PayPal reference from the channel order.|
|Payment method||No||Payment method from the channel order.|
||No||Carrier from the channel order. Yes or no.|
|Is accepted by Back Market||Yes||If yes, the value is
* Conditional fields only display if the channel provides a value.
My products do not have EANs. How can I get them online on Back Market?
Content creation is separate from offers. If you do not use EANs, as advised, you can use the unique Back Market ID that is generated when a product is created. This is similar to the Amazon standard identification number (ASIN). If neither EAN or Back Market ID is provided, the offer cannot be connected and an error is shown in the Listed products section.
How to exclude a product from a specific country on Back Market?
To prevent a product from being sold in a specific country, set the Price attribute for this country to 0. This makes the product unavailable for purchase.
Do I need to approve my orders in the Back Market back-end?
No, you do not. ChannelEngine imports orders with the status Paid from Back Market. Once the import is complete, the order status automatically changes to Approved on Back Market. Therefore, your manual input is not required.