ChannelEngine: user roles
About this article
This article describes the many user roles available within ChannelEngine, as well as how administrators can add, remove, and edit them – per user.
Table of contents
If you are the account's administrator, you can manage users and permissions. These permissions can include viewing and editing orders within your ChannelEngine account.
Previously, these permissions were set per company instead of per individual account. Currently if you add a user and give them access to four of your accounts, the permissions can be different for each account.
The following roles are available:
- Administrator* - this role has full access within an account, including the creation of other users. Access to sensitive information is optional.
- Channel manager - can view, add, edit, and remove channels. They can also create product listings and apply price rules per listing and/or per channel.
- Content manager - same as the Channel manager, but with the added ability to create product filters and view statistics.
- Order manager* - can view and edit orders. Access to sensitive information is optional.
- Product manager - can manage product information and set up product selection filters for channels.
* These roles are also available with a 'without customer view' filter, which hides sensitive information such as names and addresses.
Users' uniqueness is based on their email addresses, that is, there can be ten users with the name John Smith, but not with the same email address.
To add a user:
- On ChannelEngine, go to Settings, Users, and click Add user.
- In the Add user popup, enter the user's email address in the Email field.
- In the User role field, click the dropdown and select at least one user role.
- Click Save. The user receives an email from email@example.com with either a link to set up a new user account, if they do not have a ChannelEngine user yet, or a message with a link to the account you have just given them access to.
To edit a user:
- On ChannelEngine, go to Settings, click Users.
- Navigate to the user that you want to edit and on the right hand side, click the pencil icon.
- In the Edit user section, in User roles field, from the drop-down select the the role or roles you want to assign to the user and click Update. Bear in mind that:
- If you assign no roles whatsoever, the user does not have access to anything on ChannelEngine. Once they log in, they see an error.
- If you assign the Administrator role to a user, no other roles are necessary as they are all included.
- You cannot edit user roles unless you are an Administrator.
- You cannot edit your own role and permissions.
To remove a user:
- On ChannelEngine, go to Settings, Users.
- Go to the user who needs to be removed and, on the right-hand side, click the pencil icon.
- In the Edit user field, click Revoke access.