Adobe Commerce (née Magento): integration guide
About this guide
This guide describes ChannelEngine's integration with Adobe Commerce (née Magento), including how to install and configure it, and more.
Table of contents
Magento 2 is a leading ecommerce platform that offers online store functionality. It is designed to help merchants personalize the look, content, and functionality of their store.
The latest version of the Magento connector provides support for some additional functionality, and the entire configuration process happens through the Magento 2 interface – including attribute and order status mapping.
|Product data||Multiple stock locations|
|Product offers||Order extra data|
|Three-level product structure|
* Marketplace returns are only supported by Magento’s Commerce Cloud/Enterprise Edition.
Below are the requirements to install Magento 2 connector:
- Magento 2.3 or higher (Open Source, Commerce)
- Access to the Magento admin
To sign up for an account with Magento 2, request a demo on their website.
To establish a successful connection between Magento 2 and ChannelEngine, first, make sure Magento 2 is installed on your machine. You then need to install the ChannelEngine connector on Magento 2. You can do so via the Web Setup Wizard or via the command-line interface.
The Web Setup Wizard allows for the installation and update of extensions and components in Magento 2.
- Go to the Admin of your Magento 2 webstore.
- On the sidebar, go to System, Web Setup Wizard.
- In the Public access key and Private key, enter the details from your marketplace profile.
- Click Save configuration.
- Wait till your webstore synchronizes with your Magento marketplace.
- Select the ChannelEngine connector and click Install.
- Install Composer, a dependency manager for PHP.
- Make sure you have the correct access keys. These are used to synchronize the installation and verify your credentials.
- Sign in to your Adobe Commerce marketplace account.
- In the top right corner, under your username, click My Profile.
- On the Marketplace tab, click My Purchases.
- Locate the ChannelEngine connector. Copy its component name and version.
- Follow the How to install instructions.
- Indicate the component name and version in the ‘composer require’ section of the composer.json file.
- Update project dependencies using Composer.
Configure ChannelEngine on Magento 2
Once Magento 2 is connected with your ChannelEngine tenant, you can start configuring the ChannelEngine connector.
- Go to the Admin of your Magento 2 webstore.
- On the sidebar, go to Stores. ChannelEngine appears as a new menu item there.
- Under ChannelEngine, click Configuration.
- Click Configure to proceed with the integration.
Now you need to go through the four configuration steps: Account, Product synchronization, Order synchronization, and Initial synchronization.
During the Account step, you can configure your account settings. Select the store view that is not yet connected to any ChannelEngine account. Enter Account name and API key of your ChannelEngine account.
- Account name - the subdomain for your ChannelEngine environment. You can take it from the URL when you log in to your account. E.g.: the account name for the environment http://my-shop.channelengine.net/ is my-shop.
- API key - your Merchant API key on ChannelEngine. You can find it under Settings, Merchant API keys on ChannelEngine.
Click Connect and continue to save your current account configuration.
During the Product synchronization step, you can configure your price and stock settings as well as attribute mapping settings.
- Export products - enable product export to ChannelEngine.
- Use customer group pricing - if enabled, a specific price can be set per customer group. If disabled, the same price is applied to all customers.
- Select price attribute - select a price attribute to be exported to ChannelEngine.
- Enable stock synchronization - enable product stock export to ChannelEngine.
- Select inventories - select which inventories to use during product synchronization. The combined stock of the selected inventories is then exported.
- Set default stock quantity - set the default stock quantity for products that do not have a stock quantity already configured on Magento 2.
- Enable three-level synchronization (Zalando) - if enabled, products are synchronized according to the three-level product structure (i.e.: grandparent-parent-child), which is necessary for specific marketplaces, such as Zalando.
In the Attribute mapping section, you can map Magento 2 attributes to ChannelEngine attributes. Select a Magento 2 attribute from the dropdown menu to map to the ChannelEngine attribute. You can also leave attributes unmapped, if desired, by selecting Not mapped.
To map custom attributes, select the option Extra data mapping.
Click Save and continue to save your current product synchronization configuration.
During the Order synchronization step, you can configure how orders are synchronized between ChannelEngine and Magento 2.
- Import merchant-fulfilled orders - enable the import of orders that are fulfilled by you via ChannelEngine.
- Unknown order lines handling - select the way to handle orders that contain unknown products in the order lines. The options are Include the full order or Exclude the full order.
- Synchronize shipments - enable the synchronization of shipments with ChannelEngine.
- Synchronize cancellations - enable the synchronization of cancelations with ChannelEngine.
- Synchronize returns* - enable the synchronization of returns with ChannelEngine.
- Import orders fulfilled by marketplace - enable the import of orders that are fulfilled by the marketplace via ChannelEngine.
- Import orders fulfilled by marketplace from - set the date from which to import orders that are fulfilled by the marketplace via ChannelEngine.
- Import marketplace returns* - enable the import of returns handled by the marketplace.
- Default item condition* - set the default condition of the returned products. The options are Unopened, Opened, or Damaged.
- Default item resolution* - set the default method of handling returned products. The options are Exchange, Refund, and Store credit.
Click Save and continue to save your current order synchronization configuration.
During this step, you can enable the integration with ChannelEngine and start the synchronization of the data between Magento 2 and ChannelEngine. Click Enable and start sync to begin transferring products from your Magento 2 store to ChannelEngine, and to fetch orders from ChannelEngine into Magento 2.
You can change configuration settings after the initial setup is completed. To do so, go to the Configuration tab of your ChannelEngine store on Magento 2.
For every background synchronization task performed by the ChannelEngine connector (e.g.: product and order synchronization, etc.), an entry is made in the transaction log. To check if your synchronization tasks were successful, or see error messages for failed tasks, go to Stores, ChannelEngine, and click the Transaction log tab.
After the initial synchronization, the integration synchronizes product data and orders between Magento 2 and ChannelEngine as follows:
- Newly created products in the store are automatically created on ChannelEngine.
- Updated products in the store are automatically updated on ChannelEngine.
- Deleted/disabled products in the store are automatically deleted from ChannelEngine.
- Newly created orders on ChannelEngine are automatically updated in the store.
- Newly created shipments in the store are automatically created on ChannelEngine.
- Updated shipments in the store are automatically updated on ChannelEngine.
- Canceled orders in the store are automatically updated on ChannelEngine.
- Newly created returns on ChannelEngine are automatically created in the store.
- Newly created returns in the store are automatically created on ChannelEngine.
- Updated returns in the store are automatically updated on ChannelEngine.
For more detail on how the synchronization takes place, refer to the corresponding section below.
After the initial synchronization, all new orders are automatically pushed from ChannelEngine to your Magento 2 store. They appear under Sales, Orders on Magento 2.
For cancelations to be synchronized between Magento 2 and ChannelEngine, you must have enabled the Synchronize shipments option during the configuration process.
ChannelEngine connector detects the creation of a new shipment. If it is a shipment of an order that originated on ChannelEngine, the connector exports it to ChannelEngine.
If tracking information is missing from the shipment, the connector creates a ChannelEngine shipment without it. As soon as the missing tracking information is provided, the connector updates the corresponding ChannelEngine shipment accordingly.
For cancelations to be synchronized between Magento 2 and ChannelEngine, you must have enabled the Synchronize cancellations option during the configuration process.
ChannelEngine connector detects if the order status changes to Canceled. This applies to orders that originated on ChannelEngine. If the connector detects such a change, it exports a cancelation to ChannelEngine.
For cancelations to be synchronized between Magento 2 and ChannelEngine, you must have enabled the Synchronize returns option during the configuration process.
Newly created returns on ChannelEngine are automatically synchronized with the store.
ChannelEngine connector detects if a return status changes to Closed. This applies to returns that originated on ChannelEngine. If the connector detects such a change, it exports the return update back to ChannelEngine.
Conversely, returns created in the store for orders originating on ChannelEngine are synchronized with ChannelEngine.